Sunday, January 20, 2008

Disability Humor

A friend recently asked some questions about a TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) machine, which delivers a small electrical current that supposedly blocks pain. Although I'm familiar with these units, I don't use one, so I looked for more information on how and whether they work (probably not). Of the warnings I ran across, there was this on Wikipedia:

TENS Electrodes should never be placed:
On or near the eyes
In the mouth
Transcerebrally (on each temple)
On the front of the neck (due to the risk of acute hypotension through a vasovagal reflex)
On areas of numb skin/decreased sensation
On broken skin areas or wounds
On or near the trigeminal nerve

Maybe I'm easily entertained, but the first three scenarios had me laughing really hard as I envisioned Frankenstein-like self-experiments.

No comments: