Sunday, February 17, 2008

And other observations

Don't take a kid under 10 to see Spiderwick Chronicles even if he's read all the books, or he's going to have to see a therapist for the trauma when he's grown. The rest of us enjoyed it and he was okay with staying, but he kept his hands over his eyes for parts, and I caught him eating popcorn with his eyes closed several times. Sensitive little guy. To me that's a good thing in a world inundated with violence. He won't even watch the Harry Potter movies or finish any of the books beyond the second because he says he doesn't like all the fighting in them. And that's fine. Kids grow up too fast. My mother-in-law has accused me of being overprotective because I don't let my children watch most mainstream television or PG-13 films, but my kids have a gentleness to them because of it. I talked to my son about the benefits to his fear and told him it's okay to feel afraid (he always seems relieved when I say things like this). If more boys (and men) were okay with a negative reaction to gratuitious violence, perhaps we'd have less violence.

In other news, I've decided to move into our new apartment, I mean the new minivan full-time. Each seat has a seat-warmer for the back and legs that feels like a perfectly contoured heating pad--it outperforms anything I have at home. My husband purchased the minivan on the last day of the month and got it thousands of dollars under invoice plus loaded with all kinds of options. Now I'm completely spoiled. Butt warmer, satellite radio (for a year, while it lasts) tuned to '50s music, hidden supersecret CD player, backup camera, green ceiling lights in the rearseat. With 12 cupholders and a scooter, I've got everything I need. All I need is a temperate climate.

I used to like cold weather so much! I still do when my joints aren't stiff. This year I've been bundled up with microwaved rice socks, a heating pad (which will cause you to become crispy if you use it too long, I'm just saying), and these great microwaveable buckwheat filled lavender mitts a friend gave me. I want some of those moist-heat gel microwave/freezer pads again since they work better than the heating pad. Can't type or read once mitts go on, but I'm not complaining.

5 comments:

Red Racer said...

My sister and I both have RA, actually I have JRA, and we both use heat-wraps that we buy at the local drug store. Peel the backing away and stick on the area that needs care. I use the ones designed for the neck/upper shoulder area. They are great when a heating pad, or other heating products, are not available.

FridaWrites said...

One of my friends swears by these, though says the generics didn't work. I should try them.

Red Racer said...

We use the Rite-Aid brand and they work well. Inexpensive, so easy to try and toss if they don't work.

Karen said...

Spring can't come quick enough in the Chicago area!

FridaWrites said...

I've heard it's particularly cold there this year--looking forward to spring and being outdoors more, too!