Sunday, February 24, 2008

In the mailbox

Last week:

9 a.m.
Hello Frida,

I can't make our meeting [at 9 am] because the rain is getting worse. It soaked through my bag and my laptop and my papers are all wet. If it lightens up in the next few minutes I will try to make it.

Thanks,
Frosty the Snowman

Thought but unsaid, 9:01 a.m.
Dear Frosty,

Contrary to your perceptions that I have magical powers, I cannot enter the building by space-time travel. Unlike you, who might find a new contraption called an "umbrella" or an amazing garment called a "raincoat" handy, I can't drive a scooter, hold an umbrella, and keep my belongings dry, so they, too are wet. In addition, my clothes got soaked while unloading my scooter, my scooter got soaked while I loaded the lift, and I am now sitting in a puddle, despite the towel I brought. I also risked shorting out the scooter's electrical system in the rain. For you. But yes, certainly, stay warm and dry there in Oz.

Yours,
Jemima Puddle Duck

2 comments:

Red Racer said...

I know how you feel...

I met a friend for lunch last week, and she complained about a scrape on her finger, and how embarrasing it was for her to be in public.

I am sitting across the table, in my wheelchair, with a severe disability that can't be hidden if I jumped in a bucket of paint.

I do not believe she ever got the fact that I was totally stunned at her behavior.

It proves that we are individuals, and in most cases, we do not see past our own nose.

-- Red Racer

FridaWrites said...

My favorite moment of irony was when I took over someone else's work because he had herniated a disc and had a lot of pain. I had also just herniated a disc and was incapacitated much of the time, in addition to the usual medical problems. But he didn't know any of this, or at least chose not to see it.