Thursday, February 28, 2008

Redux

Pain. Lamaze breathing on the way home helped. Longer I'm out, more it hurts. I do okay for a while, and then reach a certain threshold, and bam.

C5-C6 biiiiiggg problems, as the doctor said. And new surprises at C6-C7, which explains other symptoms. Spinal epidural in a week and a half to try to bring down swelling of tissues against spinal cord; if that doesn't work, surgery. From the front, just like I guessed, taking out the whole disc and replacing it. (See hubby, I don't worry too much.) But there's a higher success rate with this than with low back surgeries. I really start freaking out when I think about it, so I'll try not to think about it. I don't want steroids, not good for my bones. But since I'd like to keep arm, finger, hand, leg function, too, and spend more time out of the bathroom, I'll give in.

It hasn't hurt like this in a long time. Just had radiculopathy, neurological problems before. Keep asking myself if it's psychological. It darn well feels concrete, hurts hurts hurts.

At least my friends aren't flaking out on me right now and cancelling out; now I'm the one who's doing it.

Got grouchy with strangers today because people played "let's outrace the scooter to the elevator," squeezing between me and the person in front of me, pretending not to see me until it turned out there was enough space, then not moving when I got on the elevator so I could get all the way on, then piling out and not holding the door. I finally said, "Could you move," to someone. I'm not typically grouchy, but the cutting in and jumping on the elevator first bothers me.

No comments: