Thursday, May 1, 2008

Disability Fairy

I just received a personal email from someone at work--I'd asked if she is okay since I'd seen her crying there. She's been told she can't work on an international project because of her health issues, which is ridiculous. So she's already started looking for other work. I've emailed back my emotional support and an offer of practical support.

This has got to stop. Our employer has no policy for employees with disabilities. None. So people play pass-the-buck. It's everyone else's job, and for the most part no one person shows any accountability for their actions. If I keep gathering people who are angry about lack of accommodations and their allies, the employer's going to have one heck of an angry contingent to deal with.

Every time I feel guilty for making my demands, something reminds me it's not just for me. It's for 1 out of 7 of us.

No comments: