Monday, May 26, 2008

My Elizabeth Weekend

This weekend Elizabeth of Screw Bronze! challenged readers to do something fun and out of the ordinary.

Today I went swimming with the kids at my in-laws. Given my current level of disability, quite an accomplishment. I couldn't wade in more than chest high because of the neck brace, but was able to do some gentle movements in water that helped my muscles unwind. It was also good to be outdoors with family (including my sister-in-law's cute, new round baby and her 2-year old) and the new family of doves nesting in the holly tree nearby.

This weekend we also took the kids to see Prince Caspian, the new Narnia movie, and since we brought my footrest and pillow, I was reclined enough to have energy to get new shoes for our son afterward and a few items my daughter needs for camp. I slept 12-13 hours after, though, and didn't have enough energy to get out until mid-afternoon, but slowly, slowly getting better. Lots of arm pain and couldn't feed myself dessert tonight, though I'm sure I didn't need to. It's good to be out even though people laugh at me and are mean (hey, it's not all sunshine here, though better) and I almost got backed over by someone again when my husband had to back the car out for me (no disabled parking).

Even better, I've been able to handle much of my shower and much more of getting dressed myself, though hubby hovers. Not a bad idea given the continued very low BP. It goes much faster when I can do more myself, though it uses a fair amount of my energy. I love being independent! If only I could do my hair completely myself. I hope that's soon.

2 comments:

Elizabeth McClung said...

I am glad things are progressing, I'm sorry I lost a week but it seems like an "almost normal" day, which become precious once they have been taken away.

FridaWrites said...

Glad to hear your week is going better! Yes, I'm glad for increased physical ability.