Thursday, June 5, 2008

Too weak to speak

Why can't I stick up for myself, strengthen my points, hold strong, when opposed, when people perpetuate their disablism? By failing to do so, I reinforce their stereotypes, among some of the people best able to make changes--if they wanted to. Silence would have been better.

Trying to find a middle ground, not casting a pointing finger, sticking it to the issue rather than disablist words, not pointing out my own position--that there are real people with disabilities and you're hurting one of them--I do all of us a disservice by conceding anything to people who do not attempt to see my point and refuse to examine their own disablism.

2 comments:

Wheelchair Dancer said...

hang in -- if we'd got that balance right, there'd be no more.

WCD

FridaWrites said...

I'm hangin' :)