Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Shhh! It's Not Really Fruit(TM)

Building on Dave Hingsburger's recipe day, we solicited our son's help in making menus this week and since he wasn't allowed to choose hamburgers every single meal, he chose smoothies one night and poppy seed chicken for last night. Into the yummy concoction goes:
2 cups mixed berries (fresh if available)
1/2 c. 2% milk
1 cup peaches
1 cup low fat yogurt
2 cups ice
1 banana
couple of tablespoons of honey (optional)

This is very simple to do. Send husband to store. Throw everything in blender. Turn on blender. Put the cover on first, of course.

For the anaphylaxis victim in the family (moi), my batch gets made first, minus the banana. Add sandwiches for the rest of the family. Asparagus and some rice for me, who's trying to go wheat free again since that seemed to help once, although it was probably coincidence/remission. Listen to sound of blender whirring in kitchen while lying on the couch.

Tell husband I'm eating on the couch, but go sit at the table, confusing both of us. Quiet dance of triumph for getting significant fruits into son. Repeat on a regular basis (snacks, add ice cream to his to fatten him up, whatever).

One batch will make about 2 servings. Use less ice if any fruit is frozen. Husband wonders how smoothies would taste with champagne added. Wife rolls eyes. I had forgotten my son really likes tater tot casserole--we'll have to try it again.

7 comments:

yanub said...

Oh, a nasty latex allergy, eh? So far, I've missed that one.

I decided that I have to join in on the recipes, so I have one at my blog now, too.

FridaWrites said...

Yep, latex allergy to go along w/banana and kiwi allergy. Moderation is key. I ate bananas in every day when pregnant, thus problem. People w/food allergies should vary more.

Going over to peek. :)

yanub said...

My mom ate bananas every day of her last trimester when she was pregnant with me. She was eating only bananas and skim milk, except on Saturdays, when she ate a hamburger. Her doctor considered it a treatment for preeclampsia. Weird, huh?

Food allergies are so annoying. I'm glad now most products have decent labelling so you know what you are getting or at least know what is too ambiguous to get. The hard part is people who think they can sneak some of what you are allergic to into what they serve you, and that if you don't know, it won't hurt you. Seriously, what is with some people?

I think you are probably smart to eliminate the wheat again, since you felt better back when you were doing it before. My health improved a great deal when I got serious about completely avoiding it in any form.

Dave Hingsburger said...

mmmmmmm...I LOVE smoothies, I also loved the recipe. Thanks for a peek into your family.

FridaWrites said...

I also find once I eat wheat during the day I crave food w/ it. I test allergic to it, but I test somewhat allergic to everything. People often do think a serious food allergy is more of a personal issue than an emergency inducer--with the peanut free tables at schools, I think the younger set will grow up with more awareness.

You're welcome, Dave!

Donimo said...

Glad to hear your son is fond of smoothies! I'm a big fan of smoothies and keep bags of blueberries and raspberries on hand for such occasions. You know, you can even sneak some protein in there by adding a powdered protein powder. There are a lot of good ones available that are rice or soy based (I think the whey based ones are less well tolerated). Shhhh, he won't even notice.

FridaWrites said...

Good idea. The homemade ones are a lot healthier than store bought (no sugar added here). What I didn't mention before about fruit is that he often won't eat much of it, so this is ideal. The tricky thing is to add more to our repertoire that he'll eat since he'll stop eating foods if he has them to much. But there's not much he'll try in the first place. At least smoothies can be an infinite number of flavors/varieties.