Tuesday, September 30, 2008

In today's news...and "Pictures at an Exhibition"

...nothing really happened. To think I used to long for quiet days.

The kids complained about outdoor activities (!?) Sunday, despite the fall bonuses of pumpkins, autumn flowers, and arts and crafts at our favorite outdoor place. It was hot. So instead we went to the art museum. People had their Very Civil hats on there, so it was quite refreshing to do a polite ballet with other patrons in the museum. No one seemed to be impatient with me being there. I noticed I was saying, "Sorry," a lot when someone moved, and I wondered, "why am I saying that?" Not the best choice of words. I think I made people nervous when I would edge up next to them to see a picture, but I can get an few inches from someone without bumping them, at the same distance other people would. I'm not sure if they felt they should move over a little or if they were worried I would bump them or both.

Anyone else remember that musical piece by Mussorgsky, "Pictures at an Exhibition?" Genius piece.

I whispered to my daughter what a blessing the scooter is, this scooter. She nodded. A year ago I would not have been able to see these paintings. Just over a year ago I was spending a lot of time lying down on benches in a science museum as the kids went from exhibit to exhibit. My sister-in-law said, "you need a wheelchair."

The exhibit was awesome, the best I've seen in this lifetime, painting after painting I've only seen in books, not obscure work. Even the paintings that were a little more obscure were ones I have studied. I wouldn't mind going again, though the drive created a lot of pain.

There were only a couple of children despite the huge crowds. I was glad my son was quite happy as soon as we handed him an audio tour guide. I think my daughter gained much from the collection too.

5 comments:

Donimo said...

Mobility is a good thing. You sound downright Canadian with your "sorry" attitude. Though here when I am being pushed in a wheelchair and we end up clipping someone's ankles, they are the ones who apologize. We can be totally in the wrong and they will go out of their way to say sorry. Where else but Canada would someone say "Sorry, you have the wrong number," when someone dials incorrectly? Anyway, it's so great you're able to participate with your family more. I'm thinking it's scooter time for me as well. Either that or a new pair of those bionic legs.

What paintings did you see?

FridaWrites said...

Eh, I guess I am a Canadian in training because I DO tell people I'm sorry when they dial wrong!

Let me know if you want any scooter advice, just email me.

Impressionists, lots of them (drool).

Donimo said...

Thanks, Frida. I know yo did a bunch of research and you're super happy with your scooter, so I'll definitely take you up on that. That is unless I can figure out how to hook a Viper-type extension onto my collapsible wheelchair. My chair cost $4000 (I managed to get it covered) and I can't get a second scooter covered. The Viper is an attachment with an electric wheel with motorcycle-type hand controls. They're rather cool looking, I think. But costly. If you're curious:

Team Hybrid

I used to ride motorcycles and I wish there was an edgier looking scooter that fit my aesthetic!

On other aesthetic fronts, lucky you for getting to see a whack of Impressionist paintings. I've seen some Manet, Monet and Renoir but I've never been lucky enough to see a Cassatt. Funny that. Oh, the boys club. But yeah, such a pleasure to see the rich colours and the incredible brush work and atmosphere. I'd seen plenty of repros, but never knew how dazzling they were till I saw the real thing.

FridaWrites said...

OK, I'll email you some info as soon as I can. I can't get the link to work, so send that separately too.

There was a Morrisot, no Cassatt! There were all those plus Seurat, Toulousse Lautrec, van Gogh, Gaugin, Pisarro, Cezanne, Caillebotte. And Degas! My jaw would fall open in awe as I turned corners and would point to my daughter (at my height) at paintings we both recognized. One of the Toulousse Lautrecs was really big--he must have needed a ladder.

Donimo said...

I thought I'd try my hand at html to make a link in the comment section, but I guess I f'd something up or the site doesn't allow deep linking. Here is the site home page:

http://www.teamhybrid.co.uk/

Wow, quite the shmorgasboard of painters! That's an amazing array.