Monday, December 15, 2008

Calling It Like It Is

I say gallbladder attack. Right abdominal pain that cuts through to back, throwing up after I ate cheesecake with family last night followed by hours of pain. Periodic fever. Pain after I eat today. Hydrocodone to deal with abdominal pain. Recent weight loss, liver enzymes actually up again. They are more out of range now, says the rheumatologist. No, the ER did not check bloodwork or make recommendations for follow-up except with adjusting the heart medicine, though the doctor said my pain is where the gallbladder is.

The internist declines to see me since this is a "cardiac issue" (low bp). Mmkay. I have an appointment with the cardiologist next Monday.

In the meantime, I'm going to try milk thistle and maybe marshmallow, which some studies show help. It's the best I can do, and some information indicates the typical liver-gallbladder cleanse doesn't really work. I'd rather be well than right and hope to recover from this on my own right now and will do what I can. There's no reason acute inflammation might not calm down on its own at least for now.

Maybe the ER doctor must have thought I was faking it or exaggerating or something. I don't believe in overtesting or overtreatment, but when I think my gallbladder hurts, when you think my gallbladder hurts, when my liver enzymes are up, and it's been several days, let's not pretend there aren't horses somewhere, at least possibly.

Just because I use a scooter and have spine problems doesn't mean I might not have the same common ailment to every other mid-30s woman whose weight has yo-yoed. No, I don't want my gallbladder removed and I'd rather postpone if it is for personal reasons, if possible, at least for a few months. I'd rather be wrong and have all of this calm down soon.

I'd like to make a diagnosis too. Sexism.

2 comments:

Donimo said...

You've been through a lot lately. I just got caught up. When you've got a bunch of things going on, a regular visit to a doctor is tough, but in ER it's brutal. They don't know you, they make decisions based on assumptions... you know. I'm glad you didn't have to stay in the hospital, but it does sound like something needs attention. Sounds to me like gallbladder as well. I've heard that hurts like hell. Sorry you're in pre-Christmas additional pain.

I know two people who avoided having their gallbladders removed (they were both in very rough shape) by doing complementary treatment. Do you have a naturopath to help you out with your decisions around herbal therapy?

I've been in pain for hours because of eating cheesecake. Damn you cheesecake! So appealing, so much fat.

Take care, you.

FridaWrites said...

Yeah, I think I am going to do everything I can holistically. It won't harm and would be worth a shot--even just postponing things for now might help. Yeah, I'm glad I didn't have to stay either. I'd rather this get better. I do know a naturopath. Sometimes people have one bad gallbladder attack and do fine for a while.

I also forget to tell them that I'm low on the pain scale because I took hydrocodone.

And it was only half a piece of cheesecake too, at a restaurant I've wanted to visit for many years.