Tuesday, February 3, 2009

An Interesting Medical Opportunity, Or Quack Quack

I have to throw in the "quack quack" to horrify my pretty reserved best friend, who pretends he doesn't know what any of this means. Apparently once you become anemic, having ablation or hysterectomy is not optional because with consistent anemia all kinds of things can go wonky elsewhere. I've talked the doctor into letting me get the anemia testing a few more times first; getting all these procedures is really stressful, physically as well as emotionally. No, she's not joking about doing this; I've been avoiding it for years. We'll see. Personally, I feel really attached to my uterus, against me as it sometimes is.

Apparently, I'm now officially old, old enough to get my boobies run over by two cold metal plates every year. At least my doctor warms up the mean cold duck lips (ref. The Vagina Monologues); can't they warm up sterile factory parts before they crush your tender spots? The recommendation has changed to age 40, and I'm a long way from 40. The doctors keep nagging me though. Maybe they want a copy of the recommendations that say baseline at age 40?

I have to go back to the surgeon since I have an incisional infection (itches! blistered rash). Great. Apparently there's some kind of reporting process to keep infections to a minimum in hospital, including suture type and I don't remember what else.

What worries me is lack of access to basic and needed care for women with disabilities, for people without insurance. I've done some research on this and will post sometime. Personally, I really wanted to postpone this visit since I'm dealing with a lot, but with two friends with cervical cancer in the past year, one with an additional cancer, I tolerate my duty. I've reached the age where I've started getting cancer/illness announcements from people rather than wedding invitations and birth announcements.

5 comments:

yanub said...

Dang. An infection at the surgical site--not good.

I understand your feelings about the old uterus. Trouble though it is, it's been with you all this time. And it isn't like surgery comes without risk, as your current infection makes clear.

FridaWrites said...

I think I should start introducing myself to doctors as Murphy (Murphy's law). We'll hope for the best with the anemia. Ablation is way easier than hysterectomy, but I'm just worried it's a fast slippery slope to that.

Lisa Moon said...

OMG, I hope that infection has cleared right up. :( That is NOT good; hospitals seem the best/worst places to get sick, of course...

And I hope ablation works for you; it didn't for my friend and she had the uterectomy (I know it's called hysterectomy, but I resent it's implications from the Greek days, I believe it was, when they associated women and their parts with hysteria!).

Then again, by this time she was happy to have the damned thing OUT! And once it was she was mighty glad.

I hadn't heard of this regarding anemia, but it makes sense. Is it for severe anemia or very heavy periods or with endometriosis or?? Sorry, should do some more back-reading of your blog to glean some insight.

Anyway, hope you're feeling MUCH better very fast!

FridaWrites said...

Well, I haven't talked about this particular problem in the blog, Lisa, only because I've tried to pretend it's not there or ignore it.

I've always had very heavy periods, which is one reason I had my children early--it was then or possibly not at all. It gets difficult to go out or travel for a few days.

After both childbirths I had problems with postpartum hemorrhage for months afterward--this may be related to my connective tissue issues (collagen disorders with the possible OI) since my clotting time is fine and I've been tested for blood disorders a number of times. I've had problems with very severe periods sometimes, and I really mean that (like bleeding 20 out of every 30 days or having to take a half pack of birth control pills at a time to control it).

My mother has severe endometriosis, but I've never really investigated this particular medical problem extensively for myself.

The skin issue is gone, fortunately--it was an allergy to a topical antibiotic.

FridaWrites said...

Oh, regarding your question, the anemia is the reason it's a must if it continues, though I've discussed it in the past just because the heaviness interferes with daily functions (bleeding through several heavy layers of product and clothe and into other people's furniture or airline seats is uncool). Yeah, I seem to have more tolerance than most people but my male physicians would never realize that.