Monday, March 2, 2009

Arf, argh

Argh, the one organization isn't currently placing dogs and has experienced a tragedy; small organizations that do really good work can suffer during difficult times sometimes. They'll keep my application on file in case they can start up again. Another I found in our state, well known with good dogs, requires finding a home for any current dog, which I don't agree with. While I know many pets can truly distract a service dog, ours is just mellow and kind of aloof and follows most instructions (unless he's got to confront a phobia, like birds and windchimes, which is different, and leash pulling, which is also different). He gets along with others, including mice and others' cats and isn't exuberant around other dogs. He's laid back, he chills.

Another organization I applied with when I first started thinking about this doesn't place animals in our state, even though they're closer than some organizations in our state. There are others that have you share in a lot of the fundraising for the dog, but I suspect I'd be putting in money of my own that I shouldn't. I understand the reasoning for this--small organizations are on very tight budgets now, grants can be difficult to get for startups, and people should contribute and give back where they can. It embarrasses me terribly to ask for funds for my own service animal--I don't like to draw attention to myself, and I really just can't do it. No pity parade, no wondering if I'm worthy. I mean, from friends and family, yes, I wouldn't mind asking if someone wanted to donate if they could. But this is a lot of money and more than friends and family could cover.

Another organization that did great work a few years ago went under.

So, more researching and maybe the national organizations.

3 comments:

Lisa Moon said...

Drat, sorry this sounds like a difficult journey.

Few things frustrate and anger me as much as governmental cutbacks to social services orgs/not-for-profits... ok, I'm biased as I love to work for them, but that's because they're so damn worthy!

I hope you're able to find something that fits AND can help with funding.

Lisa Moon said...

PS And I feel for your embarrassment at having to ask for help. I've felt that, since my abilities have changed, I've had to receive SO much help, to have to learn to ask for more/ongoing help seems to be salt in the wound, so to speak.

However, I was able to spend a little time with a great counsellor recently who helped me to see a different angle to that and she really got me thinking.

She said basically "You know how you like to help people? You've told me you feel great satisfaction in your work, helping people; it's what you love.

Have you considered that by *allowing* others to help you, that you may also be giving them the opportunity to feel the way you do about giving that help?!"

WOW, and damn if she wasn't right on! I hadn't considered that.

So please, even when it's hard, do try and remember that you may be giving other(s) the opportunity to help and in turn, give themselves the satisfaction and pleasure that can come with being able to help out. :)

FridaWrites said...

Well, I just received an application this week for one organization and got a good lead from the other one. The wait lists are long (3+ years); one organization prioritizes and one goes by best match, so we'll see.

I'm also a helper--I learned to accept more post-spine surgery since I had to, but did not like it! I did find often people want to help but don't know how. The fees with one organization were exorbitant--I think they're not applying for or using a lot of grants and I think that puts a lot of burden on some people. But yeah, there are others with a much lower fee, and maybe I should consider one of those. Asking friends/acquaintances for small donations if they were inclined, maybe--big embarrassing community fundraiser, heck no. Attention really embarrasses me.