Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Job loss

It looks like hubby is losing his job today--he's 99.9% certain that's what the meeting is about because of the way it's been called. *No severance pay.* No cushion.

I'll get back to comments when sentences make sense to me. There's also a lot to do. I need to make lists. That gives me a sense of control and can give us some measures that will help.

UPDATE: His whole department is being laid off (so much for "vital function"). His job will continue through sometime the first week in April, and we will have an additional paycheck because of several weeks of unused vacation time. We have insurance through the end of April (can schedule checkups for kids and hubby) and it's rumored that the government will pick up 2/3 of COBRA costs after April 1. So 5 weeks of money, which will stretch by futher cutting expenses, then it takes 6-8 weeks to get unemployment in our state because of administrative delays/backlog.

As I go through each room of the house, I find myself estimating the resale price of a lot. Still, that's just another paycheck or so, but it can help toward that gap. At least that's a few more weeks of job hunting while he still has a job.

11 comments:

Disgruntled Ladye said...

that sucks. sorry to hear it.
Thoughts and prayers with you and yours

FridaWrites said...

Thanks. I think we'll be okay, it's just the stress of waiting/not knowing and worrying about the house and other expenses. Things will work out, one way or another.

Elizabeth McClung said...

holy wow! Oh I am very, very sorry for you, as I know the despiriting nature of Job hunting and the stress it causes on everyone. I will try as I can to help you and your husband (and family) as much as I can during this, as even emotional support or outlets for screaming are useful sometimes. I took will pray if you believe in that for him to find a job that he values and that values him.

FridaWrites said...

I'm sure I'll be calling on you for listening. The optimist in me says it will be an adventure, the worrier in me says, shit.

FridaWrites said...

And yes, please pray for us. I'm going to try to apply for jobs too. There may be some kinds of desk jobs I can manage at my pain level.

yanub said...

I knew you were worried about this possibility, but except for people who are fabulously well off, there is no way that being hit with the loss of the main family income can be anything less than worrisome. Things will work out, as you say. You just have to have faith in each other to get through the tough times. Even if things get really bad, eventually you will find your way. Always believe that.

How's your husband about this? Has he been through lay-offs before?

Elizabeth McClung said...

this is the kind of adventure that is a bit heavy on the poor sleep and feeling bad in your gut. I know you will both find something, and that in a few months, you can make the decisions about whether you want to continue - I understand the feeling, I would get a research job at the university if I had to be there every day pounding doors....if getting to the university didn't use of most of the day's energy. It sucks, and it is not fair but I have prayed for you, and with the twisted relationship God and I have that may help.

The Goldfish said...

I'm really sorry to hear this Frida and wish you all the very best of luck in the coming weeks and months, both coping with the stress of this and for your chap to find a new job asap.

FridaWrites said...

Thanks, guys. He's in detached/unemotional mode right now and turning in job applications other places. Probably the best way to be since that gets things done. He has been laid off once before, but he had that cushion, which really helped.

Honestly, going through job ads yesterday, I think it may be easier for me to find jobs I'm qualified for than it will be for him. Of course, that's without the wheelchair factor. In small workplaces I can do without for shorter interviews. That's something else to think about. Any jobs I could find would keep us in an apartment, not the house. And I'd like to be able to sell it if we need. We're going to put it on the market since it's better to move and get the cash if we can.

Katja said...

Argh - so sorry to hear this.

FridaWrites said...

Thanks, Katja.