Friday, May 8, 2009

Medical Supplies Company

headwall headwall headwall

I'll say more later once I finally get my wheelchair cushion. I think it's finally going to work out thanks to Supracor stepping in on my behalf and dealing with the medical supply company for me. My seat is between sizes (17 inches long, they come in 16 or 18 inches and I didn't know you could custom order a different size). I didn't know to measure seat cushions on the side rather than from the center forward. An even exchange should be easy right, especially when that's the policy? Especially when one calls within an hour of product receipt? Supracor says the cushion should last me 4-5 years even with full-time use. They also recommend washing the cushion every 3 months to rehydrate it (I guess it keeps the materials from cracking). It is a great cushion--it just won't fit in or on my seat due to its curves. The new one will.

The tilt-in-space and desktop and coffee holder have been great. Didn't get the wheelchair pouch because of a processing error--it didn't go through for some reason, then I couldn't reorder it since the reimbursement account no longer existed. At least *that* didn't happen with a larger purchase.

I sure could use the cushion though so I could sit up longer.

To file under "thanks for sharing, Frida": I had 4 cavities filled yesterday, all on the left side, 3 upper. Thanks, Sjogren's, whoever you are, and acid reflux, which apparently leaves characteristic marks. Yesterday I realized that the reason I can't readily floss between some of my back teeth is that I can't apply enough force thanks to hand arthritis (I can still type speedily, why the problem with strength?). My permanent retainer had also come loose on one end and the dentist rebonded it. I didn't think they could fix it and thought I'd have to go to the orthodontist (it's complicated to get it on in the first place). I'm really glad I mentioned that I thought it had. This means insurance is more likely to pay since they don't pay orthodontists. It took him an additional 20-30 minutes to do this (meaning someone else had to wait), but he really didn't want me to have to make another appointment somewhere else or have to come back later because, as he noted, it's difficult to get in and out with a wheelchair and more physically difficult for me. How thoughtful and generous!

For those of you with Sjogren's or dry mouth from other causes, Theraspray is great and I like the feel better than Oral Balance (which I'll still use before bed). They're very different. There are also moisturizing mouthwashes and less drying toothpastes (you don't really realize they are drying until your mouth is like the Sahara some days). And use it. Sorry to be gross, but if you're not producing spit, you'll get cavities *fast.*

I've gone to the same dentist for 32 or 33 years except during college. I had no cavities until I was 22, and then just a small one. I hope he doesn't retire soon and mentioned that--but he doesn't look well. No one wants to ask him personal questions and say, hey, you look bad or anything (lots of family members go to him), but we also don't want him to think we don't care. He did make a joke about trying to get to retirement, not dying first. With a mouth full of tools I couldn't really ask then.

While I like my dentist, I really hate drills, scraping, vibration. Teeth should not vibrate. The scraping tool is an instrument of torture like nails down a blackboard to those of us who are tactilely sensitive. And my back really hurts from holding myself rigid from stress. Thank goodness for those armrests to perch like a cat ready to flee. About ten minutes in, I joked, "I'm ready to go home now." I'm not phobic, but I just really hate it. Or maybe I am phobic--I can't deal with hearing the details of other people's dental work (letting me know they had cavities or particular work is fine; what happens during a root canal or with my sister's loose teeth due to a nerve issue or my mother-in-law's implant, for example, I cannot listen to--maybe I empathize maybe too much). I want to crawl into a fetal position, rock back and forth holding my ears, and seek to escape the conversation. But people won't listen when I'm saying stop stop stop stop stop, I cannot talk about this.

God, let this not happen again.

Note to the frequent google searchers: there is still no "woman sit on a Roho cushion," not last week, not yesterday, not tomorrow, and there are no "naked paramedics" here. My question is how you can even see that it's a Roho cushion when someone's sitting on it. I'm afraid to know. There will not even be a happy woman sitting on a Supracor cushion pictured here. Gee whiz, I guess people really do objectify men, golly.

7 comments:

yanub said...

Frida, I am glad to hear about Supracor stepping in to make sure you got the cushion you need. What a welcome bit of news about a health-related company. It gets so wearisome hearing the usual story.

I didn't know you have Sjogren's syndrome. There, more about you that I know now that I didn't before.

Don't you feel sort of sorry for dentists? Even the most gentle ones are people no one wants to see. And spending your working life with fingers in someone else's mouth! Not my idea of a good career, but I'm glad it appeals to so many people kind-hearted people or we'd all be in much more trouble.

FridaWrites said...

The other company has had 84 BBB complaints in the last 36 months. I'm sure there are others who are unhappy but haven't filed. I guess their BBB sign was not an indication of quality, only a hope no one would click and read. Others don't have this kind of record, but only 1 or 2.

Oh, I have all kinds of secrets, yanub... lol. The funny part is that I actually forget parts of my health record now despite having a good long-term detail-oriented memory.

Yes, dentists and OBs and some other kinds of doctors. Having to do what they do to people, even though it's for a good end, has got to be difficult. That's why when I find someone I like in this regard, I stick with them. Optometrist too, really squeamish about that, to the point it's surprising I ever mastered contacts. Really I could have at times probably used valium for the glaucoma tests. I've had the same one for 11 years, not keen on changing.

FridaWrites said...

and happy mother's day, late. :)

Disgruntled Ladye said...

Flossing sucks when your hands/fingers are affected. I can't get my fingers to do the right motions or even really do anything close to the motion needed to floss. My dentist suggested using a flosser (Reach makes the one I use). I still had problems with it because it's very thin, so my Dentist used dental molding stuff to make a thicker grip for me. I can now floss! The only down side is the floss refills aren't cheap. But, it's better than cavities.

It might be worth asking your dentist for other options.

FridaWrites said...

Thanks for the tips, Disgruntled. Glad to know I'm not the only one--and yes, though solutions can cost $, they're far cheaper than cavities.

Full Tilt said...

Well, I'm going to the dentist tomorrow. I too have difficulty flossing, etc, so go to the dentist four times per year, something I absolutely hate, although my long-time dentist is a lovely person. I hope you had a nice Mother's Day.

FridaWrites said...

I'm on 3x a year, maybe should move to 4, though it's out of my own pocket right now.

I did have a great Mother's Day, thanks. :)