Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bursitis and X-Ray Changes

I have hip and ischial bursitis, thus a lot of my extra pain recently. The pain has an explanation! That part is good. It means that pain will go away again. I'm also trying a new anti-inflammatory patch that seems to help, though I can only use it in one area at a time. That is also good.

A plain film x-ray now shows damage to my hip and SI joint. I did not even show changes on MRI a year and a half ago, when the pain began to be so consistently intense, or on x-ray a year ago. Goodness. Not happy about that at all, though yes, it proves it's not my imagination. I think it was better not to have damage rather than inflammation, even if I sometimes had to argue about the pain level. I'm too young to have damaged joints! Grrr.

5 comments:

Wheelchair Dancer said...

Man that stuff hurts .... and it is very difficult to ice and relieve the pain without drugs.

WCD

FridaWrites said...

Yes, it does--ever have fever with it?; this is new to me. My knee puffed up so much one time it was like a football on a very skinny, atrophied leg (post-cast). Ice is my friend right now! I have 15 mg. hydrocodone a day, but it doesn't cut it at all right now.

Full Tilt said...

Damn! Sorry for all your pain and aggrevation, Frida. I can relate, although the fever I've not had. As to your old internist, good for you for leaving him. Is there any way to educate your MIL???

It sounds like you and husband have tried and she is still steeped in stereotypes...That's just aggrevation for you both, at a time when you need support.

Best of luck getting through the weekend. If you need more than one ice pack at a time, I've found frozen peas or corn and gallon ziplocks work well as they will meld to any body part and are relatively cheap and easy to come by...

As for me, I am okay...A friend is helping with some projects, I am awaiting the new chair and also had to get new specs, not covered by ins, so hectic, and having OT for wrists, arms and elbows 3x per week for the last month due to manual depot chair.

Send an e-mail if you want.

Hugs...

FridaWrites said...

Not sure with the MIL. She won't listen to me but sometimes she'll listen when my husband really has a talk with her--he's had to about other issues that involve the kids (no PG-13 movies for 5-year-olds, for example). He is easygoing and hates to directly confront an issue with people who are being bothersome.

Good idea for icepacks--sometimes we've forgotten to put the gel packs back in the freezer.

Vocational rehab might help pay the part insurance doesn't! You might check.

FridaWrites said...

My spouse also said he thinks I'm right with his mom--it's just difficult to stand up to her when she gets Queen Bee-ish.