Saturday, December 19, 2009

Doing the Hard Drugs

Well, I did it. I took an Enbrel shot yesterday. I couldn't take the pain and the inflammatory fatigue that was making me feel like I had a new 40-pound lead x-ray apron strapped to my back and others on my arms and legs. I haven't even been able to roll over in bed to get pain medicine. Instructions to husband are as follows, and I quote (hmm, watching too many Christmas movies): "Get pain medicine and the tachycardia medicine into me before leaving." Then I have to wait close to an hour. Otherwise I can't get out of bed to go to the restroom and on to the living room. I could not do anything that I needed to do this week, even sedentary tasks that would have helped my spouse a lot. Lead weights on everything.

The wrong shipment had been sent to me for the second time (latex needle caps instead of latex free) and I decided I was going to do the shot even if I had to get a friend or family member with phlebotomy experience to do it. I called the doctor and said, "I'm coming in." I would have done it without help if necessary. I wasn't going to wait for the new shipment on Monday or Tuesday, latex sensitivity or no (from prolonged exposure).

We will see. I am looking at the syringes a little suspiciously but hoping they will help. Fatigue seemed a little better last night, was able to push myself to do some in the kitchen today. Not nearly as much as I would like, but it's a start. A start after a near-absolute stop, being out of the house an hour or two a few times this week and not being able to do anything else.

It's often not been a choice at all for me because of pre- or post-surgery conditions or infections of various sorts. All right, we'll see.

2 comments:

yanub said...

Frida, here's hoping the embrel does the job for you. I know you must have been feeling pretty desperate to even consider in passing using syringes contaminated with latex.

FridaWrites said...

Desperate, yes. I wouldn't want to use the latex ones over the long term since I get rashy with extended exposure. It's difficult to convince people it's okay briefly; I try to avoid it since I know it can get worse over time.