Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Enbrel, Round 2

I injected myself today and it went fine. Only complaint is that the needles aren't quite sharp enough--trying to pierce skin with a dull needle is not fun; other Enbrel users have said the needles aren't as sharp as they used to be.

It does seem to help with the fatigue part some but the pain has been horrible. Did okay yesterday but had trouble moving at all today from being out trying wheelchairs yesterday. I think I found one that will work okay and will allow me to do much more both here and out and about--reducing pain greatly. I joked with the rep about whether I could just take the demo home--I'm sure I'm not the only one who jokes about that but yes, it felt a lot better. I even transferred back out of the scooter into it to finish our ordering details/discussion. The joystick drives a lot differently from a scooter--that will take some practice. Backing up is really difficult--figuring out which way to get it to back up since the casters aren't straight. I'm sure that in a week or so it would all come naturally.

Lead weights on.

6 comments:

yanub said...

What wacky logic would lead to making dull needles? Someone somewhere needs badly to be poked with the blunt end of a sewing needle until the skin is broken, and then with the sharp end, and made to own up as to which is better. Maybe poked many times even.

I hope you get your chair soon, and that it will make a huge difference in your life!

FridaWrites said...

Spot on!--it was exactly like poking with the dull end of a sewing needle. Apparently the needles can be uneven in quality from batch to batch too. At $1000 a month for 8 shots...well, they can figure out the needles! I will call. I exclaimed to the nurse, "It's dull!--it won't go in!" and then pushed harder. Ugh, I have guts I didn't know about.

Thanks for the positive chair wishes.

G.E. said...

I've had absolutely no problem with the Sureclick Autoinjector since switching to it about two years ago. The needle is nice and sharp, although the least bit of alcohol left behind can cause a real sting! I've been on Enbrel for seven years this week and found that real results weren't clear until after the third or fourth weekly injection. Yes, Enbrel is expensive, but there is hope on the horizon. New legislation aimed at introducing a generic drug is in the works and the maker is already working on one.

FridaWrites said...

I called a nurse at the Enbrel line today about the needles, GE, and she said that it's the needle cap that makes the needle dull--the cap prevents liquid from leaking out but dulls the tip. Apparently the other kinds may be sharper.

Seven years, wow! It's difficult to think that far ahead about it.

Lene Andersen said...

So glad to hear you're on Enbrel and I hope it'll be the miracle drug for you that it's been for so many (including myself). And with the new chair, hopefully the two in combination will improve your life.

FridaWrites said...

Thanks, Lene--the new chair will definitely help. And the Enbrel helps with the fatigue at least--not so much with pain yet--but the fatigue has been so, so extreme that's been very nice.