Thursday, December 3, 2009

Warning: Possible Scam Targeting Disability Bloggers

Please spread the word to disability bloggers (and other bloggers), just in case. I sent an email to One Sick Mother yesterday asking her to help me evaluate an unsolicited email offering a donation in exchange for an advertising link, a small internal link, which sent off warning bells.

OSM is more computer savvy than I am and suggests this link would likely virus readers' sites when they click on the blog; it could also virus your site with a fix only that company can provide. While I don't want to accuse anyone falsely, I know people's blogs can become virus transmitters in such a way. OSM also points out that the site for the company is pretty rudimentary. I know many of us are in difficult situations, but please don't.

It looks as if this particular company may target some groups of bloggers all at once--so be careful. If it sounds too good to be true, it may be.

6 comments:

OhWheely . . said...

I got a similar email about a month ago. Luckily, I just deleted it but not before I had considered the offer. Glad I did delete it now.

FridaWrites said...

Exactly--plus many of us bloggers have thought about advertising revenue anyway at some point.

william Peace said...

I too got this email and hit the delete button. Once a month I get similar sort of email. Deleting these messages is good old fashioned common sense.

FridaWrites said...

Yes--OSM also sent information that bloggers are now responsible for any links/advertising that they place on their website.

Elizabeth McClung said...

I got the email this week, so a good time for a warning.

FridaWrites said...

Glad to help!