Saturday, March 13, 2010

Say No to Colloidal Silver

One of our local groceries has colloidal silver on sale. An alternative health care practitioner recommended it to me once just before I got pregnant; thank goodness I trusted my intuition (always listen to it) and did not try it.

Colloidal silver will turn you blue. BLUE. Bright blue, not hypoxic blue. Permanently! Irreversibly. It should be outlawed. Go to "google images" and look. Shame on those who continue to sell it or "prescribe" it.

Besides, aren't we trying to get heavy metals out of our systems? Isn't that what alternative health care practitioners recommend? The mercury in fish and vaccines and dental work is suspect; we know that mercury can cause grave harm, giving people long-term tics and brain abnormalities. And there's lead--lead poisoning still a risk for many children from old paint or its residues in their homes. Yet we're supposed to take drops of silver? (Or gold, for arthritis patients.)

The problem is the word "colloidal." People like it. It sounds scientific and friendly and interesting. For nonchemistry types, it says, "I am grown up, doing something fancy schmancy." If you want to look like Papa Smurf or Smurfette and don't mind risking your neurological system, go ahead. But otherwise, stop it if you're taking it and tell others. If gut instinct doesn't stop you, always, always research any alternative heavily, looking for in-depth information about contraindications, adverse effects, allergies, and interactions with other drugs or remedies. And remember, there was a first person to turn blue, and a second...

So often we hear that because something is "natural," it's safe (see Andrea's excellent post on this topic at As others have said, hemlock is natural. Cyanide is natural. Poison ivy is natural. Toxic mushrooms are natural. Natural absolutely does not imply safe. You would not, I hope, wander through the forest picking up pretty little mushrooms and popping them in your mouth, not if you value your liver and your life. You'd research them with extraordinary caution and most often rely on experts who really know their work, not quacks who read a guidebook. Even then, deadly mistakes can be made.

Note: chelation for heavy metals is also dangerous, though fancy-schmancy sounding too.


Anonymous said...

"Colloidal" means that the silver is so finely ground that it can be suspended in a water solution (although it still needs shaking).

I used incredibly minute amounts of colloidal silver paint to glue wee electrodes to the backs of my insects when doing physiological research. However, that was on the exterior of the bugs; neither I nor my research subjects were taking the stuff internally!

In contrast, silver amalgam in dental fillings is a safe material (in the relative world of risk assessment, i.e., it's safer than crossing the street or walking down stairs). That's because it is mixed and bound to the other ingredients.


FridaWrites said...

Andrea, now that's a good use for colloidal silver!