Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Blog Comments--Maintaining Accessibility While Managing Spam

Today I noticed had 20 new comments on my last post. These were all spam that made it through even though my setting is for every comment to be manually approved by me, a setting that is still unchanged. I then saw there were about 50 more spam posts on old posts. Since a lot of spam is inappropriate, I'm alarmed that it was there for months without notification to me.

Not all spam is going through, however--185 were still in my spam folder, though I delete those regularly; daily there's a stack of them. It's enough to make me not want to look at my blog.

The only solution I can find to be fairest both to me and to as many people as possible is to go back to Open ID/manual approval of comments so that anonymous comments never go through. That excludes most spam, but it will prevent some commenters who don't have or want a google ID or OpenID from commenting. If you are one of those people, please email me your comment at fridawrites @ gmail, as I want to hear what you say.  I will be glad to copy it and post it for you and put your name on it.

I don't want to add word verification back in--that excludes people with visual and some mobility issues. The word verification text is often hard for me to read even without being limited in those ways.

My apologies for the inconvenience to anyone! I love hearing what people think and don't want to miss your ideas/feedback, so again, please email.

And now I go back to finishing my ADBC post.

No comments: